Although this is neither up-to-date nor comprehensive, below is a list of selected position papers, which are broad papers addressing approaches to education, engineering, and technology.
- Edward A. Lee, "Fundamental Limits of Cyber-Physical Systems Modeling," ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, Article 3, November, 2016.
- Edward A. Lee, "The Past, Present, and Future of Cyber-Physical Systems: A Focus on Models," Sensors, 15(3), p. 4837-4869, doi:10.3390/s150304837, February, 2015 (open access).
- Edward A. Lee, Jan Rabaey, David Blaauw, Kevin Fu, Carlos Guestrin, Bjorn Hartmann, Roozbeh Jafari, Doug Jones, John Kubiatowicz, Vijay Kumar, Rahul Mangharam, Richard Murray, George Pappas, Kris Pister, Anthony Rowe, Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, Sanjit A. Seshia, Tajana Simunic Rosing, Ben Taskar, John Wawrzynek, David Wessel. "The Swarm at the Edge of the Cloud," Design & Test, IEEE, pp. 1-17, March 2014.
- Edward A. Lee, "Heterogeneous Modeling," chapter in Claudius Ptolemaeus, ed., System Design, Modeling, and Simulation using Ptolemy II, Ptolemy.org, ISBN: 978-1-304-42106-7, 2014.
- Amit Fisher, Clas Jacobson, Edward A. Lee, Richard Murray, Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, Eelco Scholte. "Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems-iCyPhy," in Proc. Complex Systems Design & Management (CSD&M), Springer, pp 21-37, Paris, France, December 4, 2013.
- Marc Weiss, John Eidson, Charles Barry, Leon Goldin, Bob Iannucci, Edward Lee, and Kevin Stanton. "The Case for Cross Disciplinary Research on Time Aware Applications, Computers and Communication Systems (TAACCS)," A White Paper, September 18, 2013.
- Edward A. Lee, Sanjit Seshia, Jeff C. Jensen, "Teaching Embedded Systems the Berkeley Way," Workshop on Embedded Systems Education (WESE), a part of Embedded Systems Week (ESWeek), Tampere, Finland, October 12, 2012.
- Patricia Derler, Edward A. Lee, Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli. "Modeling Cyber-Physical Systems," Proceedings of the IEEE (special issue on CPS), 100(1):13-28, January 2012.
- Edward A. Lee and Alberto L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, "Component-Based Design for the Future," in Proceedings 2011 Design Automation and Test Europe (DATE), Grenoble, France, March, 2011.
- E. A. Lee, "CPS Foundations," in Proc. Design Automation Conference (DAC), ACM, 2010.
- Edward A. Lee, "Disciplined Heterogeneous Modeling," in D.C. Petriu, N. Rouquette, O. Haugen (Eds.): MODELS 2010, PRT II, LNCS 6395, Springer-Verlag, pp. 273-287, Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE 13th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering, Languages, and Systems (MODELS), Oslo, Norway, Oct. 3-8, 2010.
- E. A. Lee, "Computing Needs Time," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 52, Issue 5, May 2009.
- Edward A. Lee, "Time is a Resource, and Other Stories," International Symposium on Object/Component/Service-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), May, 2008; Position statement for panel: "Wrong Assumptions and Neglected Areas in Embedded Research."
- Edward A. Lee, "Cyber Physical Systems: Design Challenges," International Symposium on Object/Component/Service-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), May, 2008; Invited Paper.
- Edward A. Lee. "Cyber-Physical Systems - Are Computing Foundations Adequate?," Position Paper for NSF Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems: Research Motivation, Techniques and Roadmap, Austin, Texas, October 16-17, 2006.
- Edward A. Lee, "Embedded Software," to appear in Advances in Computers (M. Zelkowitz, editor), Vol. 56, Academic Press, London, 2002.
- E. A. Lee and D. G. Messerschmitt, "Engineering an Education for the Future," IEEE Computer Magazine, Vol. 31, No. 1, January, 1998.