Ptolemy II 10.0.1 Notes for Mac OS X
- Download the Ptolemy II 10.0.1 Mac OS X Installer Application (454Mb) If you get a dialog about the setup file being damaged, see below.
Mac OS X Specific Notes
Help! I clicked on the Mac Setup file and got a strange dialog
If you get a dialog like:
Then the problem is that your version of Mac OS X has a bug and needs to be reconfigured.
The bug is that the dialog should state that the dmg file is unsigned and ask you if you would like to change your settings. The file is not damaged. The bug is that the Mac operating system is incorrectly labeling the dmg as damaged because of settings in the Gatekeeper control panel.
OS X: About Gatekeeper describes how to fix Gatekeeper to allow applications downloaded from anywhere.
Ptolemy II requires Java, which may be downloaded from Oracle. We suggest installing the JDK, see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. Note that recent versions of Mac OS X may prompt you to install the JDK if it is not yet installed.
The Ptolemy installer for Mac will install a version of Ptolemy with a JRE that includes:
- Java 3D, which is required to run the Graphical (GR) domain demos.
- The Java Advanced Imaging Interface.
- The Java Serial port communication interface.
- The Java Media Framework.
- The most comprehensive documentation is the book,
Claudius Ptolemaeus, Editor, System Design, Modeling, and Simulation Using Ptolemy II, Ptolemy.org, 2014, available as a free PDF download and low-cost paperback.
- "Building Graphical Models" chapter from the the book is a good starting point
- Detailed Ptolemy II Installation instructions.
This page covers installing Ptolemy II via a traditional Windows Installer
Other formats include:
- Browse the Ptolemy II demonstration the web, and optionally run them using Web Start
- Installing Ptolemy II by downloading source and recompiling
- Installing Ptolemy II via the web using Web Start
- Installing Ptolemy II under Windows with an installer