Ptolemy II 10.0.1 Web Edition Download
This download of Ptolemy II uses a web launching tool called Web Start that makes installation and updates particularly simple.
Below are more detailed instructions.
Web Start is a product from Sun that is used to download the Ptolemy II 10.0.1 Web Edition.
Sun's Java Web Start is included in version 1.6 or later of Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK).
In other words, If you have Java 1.6 or later installed, then Web Start is already installed!
- This web page attempts to detect whether Web Start is already installed. If the Quick Start section above has an orange button that says "Launch", then click it to lauch the Ptolemy II Web Start version. If Java can't be found, then download and Install Java from Oracle (15.2Mb) and then
- The download is roughly 111Mb. About 27 Mb of the application download is consumed by the HTML documentation of the Ptolemy II Java classes.
- After the download completes, you will be prompted with a window
that states that the certificate from
University of California Berkeleyis valid. You should hit the
Startbutton to proceed with start up.
Note that individual demos are available as Web Start applications, see the web copy. However, the individual Web Start demos are primarily for viewing the models, they do not include the full editor.
Places to go
- For more information about Web Start and Ptolemy II, see the Web Start Help page.
- The most comprehensive documentation is the book,
Claudius Ptolemaeus, Editor, System Design, Modeling, and Simulation Using Ptolemy II, Ptolemy.org, 2014, available as a free PDF download and low-cost paperback.
- "Building Graphical Models" chapter from the the book is a good starting point
This page covers installing Ptolemy II via Web Start.
Other formats include:
- Browse the Ptolemy II demonstration the web, and optionally run them using Web Start
- Installing Ptolemy II by downloading source and recompiling
- Installing Ptolemy II under Mac OS X with an installer
- Installing Ptolemy II via a traditional Windows Installer